2.22.2016

Crossing the Gulf

Saturday, February 20th, Kristin's 40th birthday (HAPPY BIRTHDAY KRISTIN!),
we left Carrabelle at about 3 pm, headed for open water, to Clearwater, Florida, 170 miles across  the Gulf of Mexico. We were told it was going to be beautiful, smooth sailing all the way. Guess it's all relative, it was smooth all right, but there were swells underneath, enough to make Maggie and I sick, and make me wish I was anywhere else but on that boat. It lasted about 15 hours. Luckily, Robbie had the good sense to hire a deck hand, who happened to be a commercial fisherman, to come with us. The two of them spent the night on the fly bridge taking turns driving and sleeping.
We made it in Sunday morning by about 6 am, and are now in a marina in a lovely city, 
Clearwater, Florida. Civilization! 



Sunset leaving the panhandle, in the Gulf Saturday night.

Sunset last night, Sunday, from our spot in Clearwater

Sunrise coming into Clearwater

2 comments:

  1. Oh my! Glad you are thru the section. Hope you are feeling better now! Love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just figured out how to load my videos onto Youtube, which allows me to put a link to them on the blog. If you go to the site, tranquilo2.blogspot.com, you will be able to click on two links to some videos of the crossing. If you use the old email notification, it will not take you to the revised page. Not sure if it will work on a mobile device, but I'd love to know.

      Delete