5.05.2016

Welcome to South Carolina!

Left Savannah this morning, May 4, 2016, early, to catch high tide. Arrived in Beaufort, South Carolina before noon. We are staying at the Port Royal Landing Marina.



Our new back yard


We called an Uber cab to take us downtown, and the Uber driver was from Oskaloosa, Iowa, 20 miles from Pella, where I grew up, he graduated from high school the same year as me, went to the University of Northern Iowa, like me, and graduated from there the same year.


Downtown Beaufort, lots of shops and restaurants.



And more cool old houses!





Last night we got to see George Hull, and his wife Arlene. We knew George in Bermuda, he was a dentist on the base.


It turns out Arlene grew up in Beaufort, and was a close friend of Pat Conroy's, author of the Prince of Tides, (my favorite book), The Great Santini, Beach Music, etc. He just recently passed away.
She told me we would be passing the house where The Big Chill was filmed, (it was also in the Great Santini,) as we left. So, I took these photos as we were leaving this morning, I am not sure if I got the right one.
Here is the right house, I took this photo off the internet.




Maybe this one?

I think this is the one, you just can't see the front for all the trees.

As we left, Thursday, May 5th, headed for Charleston, SC, 
there was a flotilla of boats in front of us, many of them flying the Looper flag.

                                           

4 comments:

  1. Wow! The world gets smaller and smaller... very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:57 AM

    Dear Julia - Looks like you are livin' the dream. Wow how kool. Wanted to send you a link to the latest video Chase and I finished for a homeless ministry for single mothers. Check it out.
    The Bridge to Hope
    https://vimeo.com/164502691/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice work on the video! Thanks for sending that.

      Delete